The tumor board conference plays an important role in multidisciplinary cancer care at Willmar Regional Cancer Center. At our tumor conferences, the challenges for individual cancer patients are thoroughly reviewed and discussed by a team of physicians and other health professionals, each adding their expertise and unique perspective.
- A diagnostic radiologist presents any important imaging of the patient. These are projected so that all tumor-board participants can see the important features.
- A pathologist presents each patient’s pathology findings and any special tests using a video microscope.
- The core team of cancer specialists is present, including one or more surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists, nurse practitioners, and cancer specialist nurses.
- A representative of our genetic counseling team attends by teleconference to go over any important familial implications
- A research nurse is present to point out possible research studies that are available.
Tumor Board conferences focus on complex cases, where the diagnosis and course of treatment may not be straightforward. Specific tumor features, pre-treatment clinical evaluations, staging, treatment plans, and any possible enrollments in research studies are commonly reviewed.
Each case is brought to Tumor Board by our Medical or Radiation Oncologists, or from an outside physician (such as a Urologist) to request the board’s recommendation on a specific patient.
The Tumor Board benefits patients by offering a comprehensive, coordinated approach to cancer care for even the most challenging cancer treatment situations.